Before I start what is probably going to be the worst rant I've had yet, I just want to point out that:
a) I have NO problem with stay at home moms and would one day like to be one,
b) No, I am not a hairy, no bra-wearing, Feminine Mystique promoting Women's Lib activist and,
c) I am not condoning being anything like the type of woman described in point b.
I, for the life of me, cannot understand why a woman would limit herself to being a "stay at home mommy" and act like there's nothing else in the world out there but that. No, I take that back... because to honestly say that would make me a total you know what. I cannot possibly fathom what it's like to have a child because I do not have any. Granted I already love little GG and Harry (if you steal those names I will kill you... Although those are just nicknames, but still) more than anything, but they're just.. well, eggs and potential sperm at the moment. I digress...
Over the past couple weeks I've been looking at various Facebook profiles, some people I know, some I don't, and reading about them. Just catching up with old friends' lives, what they're up to... typical thing to do. But I've been noticing a trend with some of these people who are married and starting to have kids. It seems like as soon as their EPT test shows up positive, they quit their jobs (usually a pretty amazing sounding one at that!) to become "stay at home mommies." Again, I hope to be one one day... however, I really REALLY don't want to put the following on my profile:
Work Info
Employer: Baby _____
Position: Mommy!!
Description: Doing mommy and wifey things!
I'm sorry... but is that really the type of women we are? Is that what our mothers fought for in the 60s and 70s? What our grandmothers fought for in the 40s? What our great grandmothers fought for in the teens and 20s? They fought for us to vote, to work in a man's job, to work in a man's world, to be seen as equals who work with our husbands and be role models for our children... not work FOR our husbands and children!
Now, that all being said... I really do want to be a stay at home mom. I want to be there for my kids while they grow up, watch them, not miss a minute of their young lives. But does that mean I have to sacrifice everything I've worked so hard to achieve? Yes right now I don't have much to brag about and on paper, I look like an ideal candidate for a stay at home mommy (ie no really high paying job that would contribute to the income, no super high degree that people would look down on me for becoming a stay at home mom (ever seen that episode of SATC where Miranda talks about the woman who has a Masters in Finance and all she can talk about is her diaper genie?), etc)... but I have other plans for my life that I WILL NOT stop because oops! We got pregnant!
Maybe I've crossed the line here... Maybe I'm jealous because these (well some of these) women have the life I secretly want. I don't know. I think I've always been too big of a dreamer to just give up everything for someone else. This is why I'm not married... I'm way too self-centered to allow someone else to dominate my thoughts and change the things I want to accomplish in life.
However... as I said before... I want to be a stay at home mom one day. Little GG and Harry will have the COOLEST mom (in my opinion of course) on the block and I will be the best lullaby singer, airplane imitator, boo-boo kisser, and after school cupcake maker you have ever seen... I just hope I don't lose myself on the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment