Monday, June 30, 2008

Who really needs a man?

As I'm working on getting over the bastard, I find that I keep having these little relapses. I feel like my thoughts wander from one thing to the next, kinda like that Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game.. or whatever it's called. You know, the one where you pick an actor and see how he's "related" to Kevin Bacon. That's what I feel my thoughts have been doing. I'll think about something simple and then it'll lead to something else which will then lead to something else then finally lead to something that reminds me of him. For example... I'll think about the wedding I went to Saturday night. Simple, right? So I'll think about the wedding... which then makes me think about the groom's cake, which was actually these AMAZING mini cakes from my wedding bakery, and these mini cakes were decorated like baseballs and had the Yankees thingy on it. Already that reminds me of him (he was a Yankees fan) but that ruins my six degrees game. So the baseball themed groom's cake made me think about baseball, which made me think about the Barons' games... And where are the Barons' games held? Ohhhh the Hoover Met. And what happened at the Hoover Met? The best time I've ever had with a guy. And who was that guy? That's right, the bastard. I've been doing that for a few days now, each time leading to that face I make when I look forlorn and far away. I sometimes pretend it makes me look wistful and deep, but now I'm starting to think I makes me look sad. And not that attractive sad like in a French film... but that "Oh wow... she's pretty sad. Let's stay away from her" sad.

Today I talked to a friend about my wanting to move. The first question I was asked was "Is this because you don't have a boyfriend?" I really couldn't believe that was his only thought about me wanting to move. Apparently, the only reason I would want to leave Birmingham is because I'm single. Also, according to him, if I had a boyfriend, I wouldn't be so unhappy and would want to stay in Birmingham. Yes, part of my reasons for wanting to move is because of men, or lack thereof. But there's more to it.

So my question is this... Do I really need a man in my life to be happy? Is that all that it'll take to make me happy? I feel like that thought sets me back about 50 years. Of course I want a man in my life to make me happy. But I don't want that to be the only thing that makes me happy. I want to be happy without one. I want him to be the icing on the cake that is my life. And that cake should be from Pastry Art, not the grocery store. That's beside the point. I look at my life and am pretty happy that I have accomplished a lot of stuff without one. I like that my life doesn't revolve around someone.

I lied... my life does revolve around someone... My sweet puppy, who is right now sitting on the floor near me looking for nails from the shelf that I put together earlier tonight. That's right... the one that I put together... sans man. And I'm very, very happy.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I've been there too many times. Little things reminding me of someone, etc...it sucks, but just think: it's probably happenning to him,too. So glad you're happy, tho- that's a major feat in itself.